I truly believe no writer should work in a vacuum.
Doing the actual writing may be a solo effort, unless you work with a writing partner, but if you are serious about your craft and career, you should give thought to working with a professional writing coach. No pro athlete trains without the help of coaches and trainers, and no writer gets anywhere by writing alone, without professional-level input from truly experienced readers.
Some of you may be lucky enough to know film and television industry professionals who will take the time to read your work AND give you notes on how to improve it. If you are one of those writers, good for you, you don’t need me.
But if you are a writer who falls into one or more of these categories, then you just may be my ideal client:
- You began a promising script but you’ve stalled out and you’re no longer making progress.
- You need hard deadlines and accountability to finish pages!
- You’d love some support as you practice this lonely pursuit.
- You’ve written a bunch of scripts and submitted them to contests and nothing’s happened. You feel like you’re going nowhere.
- You really want to write a GREAT screenplay or pilot that will open doors.
- You’ve always wanted a mentor to guide you to make the right decisions now so you don’t spend years wasting time.
- You get notes from friends and fellow writers that are either too easy or just not insightful enough to put into practice.
- You’re sick of endless discussion threads on Facebook, free YouTube tutorials and video courses that give you no actual feedback on your work.
- You took a top-rated screenwriting course and didn’t enjoy getting notes from amateurs and didn’t learn much from the self-absorbed teacher.
- You’re a seasoned professional from another side of the industry and now you want to learn screenwriting.
- You have a great idea for a movie or television show but you don’t know how to begin.
- You’re having trouble pushing through and finishing your first script.
- You always had the dream of writing a great screenplay but never truly committed the time and effort.
- You retired from another profession and now you want to pursue your creative dreams. You’ve wasted enough time, now is the time to kick it into high gear!
- You are a development professional or producer who wants to learn how to analyze and break down great writing to improve your producing skills and ability to recognize great material.
- You are an actor looking to develop great material to showcase your talent.
- You’ve watched as other writers have gained success and you know you’re just as good as them, if not better.
- You just like the idea of having a weekly check-in with someone who knows you, your writing, your goals and who cares about your success.
- You read one of my books and would love to get help from the source.
- You want a coach with years of experience as a professional reader for major production companies and studios, a teacher of screenwriting, a script doctor paid to fix screenplays that aren’t working, and a consultant who routinely works with top professionals and amateurs alike to guide them to meet and exceed their writing goals.
Do one or more of those statements sound like you?
If so, let’s talk. You can email me from my CONTACT page and I’ll get right back to you.
My coaching is simple: Every week, you get my notes (usually written, but sometimes verbal) on up to 20 pages plus a one hour conference call. Every conference call can be recorded for your download. And I am always available via email. I will read ANYTHING and give you my feedback on ANYTHING, be it screenplay, pilot, outline, treatment, pitch, query letter, fellowship application, pitch deck, series bible, whatever you got. If you just want to run an idea by me or talk about the latest box-office receipts, I’ll be available. If you want to show me the coverage you got from a recent contest submission or an email response from a producer, I’ll give you my two cents.
I coach beginners, experienced writers and even film/TV industry professionals who take time out of their busy schedules to work with me on their passion projects. My clients have included working professionals like Billy Rovzar, executive producer of “Mr. Avila” on HBO Latino, Matthew Cherry, Oscar-winning writer/director of TV and film and Executive Producer of BlacKkKlansman, Dan Cronin, staff writer for Conan (TBS), Rick Bosner, producer (Fruitvale Station, Take the Ten, Mapplethorpe), Emmy Laybourne, actress (Superstar) and author of the award-winning “Monument 14” YA book trilogy, travel writer Eric Hiss (Los Angeles Times and New York Times), Fritz Manger, producer of Deadly Adoption with Will Ferrell and Kristen Wiig, Binky Mendez, Mumbai-based writer/director whose credits include the CBC, Discovery Channel and Fox Star Studios India, Anzu Lawson, actress/writer/stand-up comic whose credits include The Blacklist, Fuller House and the L.A. Comedy Festival, and Victor Perez, award-winning director (Echo) and a world-renowned Visual-Effects Supervisor whose credits include The Dark Knight Rises and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
I’ve also coached a former writer for SNL, an Exec with CBS All Access, a heart surgeon and so many others from every walk of life and almost every major country on Earth. I believe that anyone can write a decent screenplay with the proper training. Not everyone can write something GREAT, but if you can, we’ll find that out. It will take a lot of work, so don’t bother to contact me if you’re lazy or not willing to truly commit to this endeavor.
I’ll be honest with you. I can’t write the darn thing for you. I’m here as a guide, a friend, a helping hand, a sounding board, a voice of reason and a tough critic (all wrapped up into one positive package that doesn’t take himself too seriously!)…but I’m going to demand that you work hard. I’m going to keep you accountable to your assignments and your deadlines. I’m going to enjoy watching your craft and commercial potential rise with each passing week.
WHAT YOU GET:
My notes on up to 20 pages of content per week (script pages, story maps, outlines, pitch decks, series bibles, cover letters, anything you want), delivered on average within 48 hours of submission.
Weekly 1-hour video conference call via Zoom.
Recording of each conference call.
Priority E-mail response.
Every one of my e-books, worksheets, story maps, recorded interviews with industry pros, and your choice of two of my popular webinars.
$500 per month
$900 if you book two months to start. $500 each month after.
CONTACT ME ASAP if you are interested and I will check my schedule for an open slot for you.
I look forward to working with you!
Los Angeles, California, United States